The media has a strong influence on the viewing public. From ideas to products, media can sell anything directly or indirectly. Just the same, weight loss is also another idea being promoted by the media. Some of the shows promote weight loss indirectly while others blatantly announce the need for a healthy lifestyle. Nevertheless, Hollywood celebrities and supermodel are seen as role models when it comes to a beautiful body. One of the known celebrities being looked up for weight loss is Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah: The quick facts
Oprah Winfrey, host of the highly popular Oprah talk show, is popular for her ability to lose huge amounts of weight and keep it off. In her show, she is constantly offering tips and advice on how to lose weight and keep it off. She is currently under personal trainer Bob Greene that helps her lose weight and maintain it.
The rude truth
Because of Oprah's fame, several unreliable weight loss methods and products have jumped in Oprah's bandwagon of fame, claiming that they are the ones that helped Oprah lose weight fast. So before buying any weight loss product or pill, make sure to check twice. Do not be easily fooled by products that claim Oprah has used it.
Her weight loss plan
According to Oprah's website, Oprah's weight loss plan mainly involves diet and exercise. She does not take any medications or weight loss patches to help her lose weight. She does it the natural way.
Oprah's weight loss plan mainly involves avoidance of refined carbs, increased intake of lean protein, and moderate healthy fats. Coupled with regular exercise, Oprah has achieved her ideal body weight and body image that everyone has come to admire.
According to her trainer
Bob Greene, Oprah's personal trainer, gives the juice on Oprah's weight loss plan.
According to Greene, there are two sets of weight loss rules. "There's one set for just making the scale move," he says. "That just follows the laws of physics--you have to do x, y and z, and if you do them, the scale moves. But then there's the other thing...what's going to keep you doing those things for the rest of your life? That's where it gets complicated."
Exercise such as aerobics, says Greene, is effective at first. But as time passes, it can become less challenging. He then recommends working out on a treadmill, which allows you to increase the pace and the incline over time.
The main point is to exercise more and eat less. "You have to exercise more than what you eat," says Greene.
As part of Oprah's weight loss plan, she has undergone a strict diet program that include reducing the intake of certain foods. In Oprah's boot camp, she has invited several people to join her in her road to dieting.
Oprah recommends that following diet regime:
1. Eat lean protein, two fruits a day, and all the green vegetables you want
2. Keep the fat low
3. No alcohol
4. Refrain from eating the "white stuff": bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, candy, pastry, cookies, cake.
5. Stay away from whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat cereals and breads) for one month
6. Do not eat three hours before bedtime.
Oprah's resident psychologist also tells of Oprah's weight loss plan. According to Dr. Phil, if you want to follow Oprah's weight loss plan, you have to follow these steps:
1. Set a very specific goal - Dr Phil suggests that people should set goals for the weight loss as well as for their emotions.
2. Work out a very specific strategy - will power alone does not work. People need a very specific strategy.
3. Identify small, measurable steps - implement a program that suits your lifestyle.
4. Create a healthy, realistic time line - whatever happens, do not crash diet. Choose fixed dates for the weight you want to be in the future, starting with small steps. Add those dates to your calendar, and stick to them. Don't expect results overnight.
5. Create meaningful monitoring and accountability - according to Dr Phil, find a partner to help you track your weight and things will become easier for you.
Some diet pills and products are claiming to be part of Oprah's weight loss plan. The Hoodia weight loss patch, for example, claims to have helped Oprah lose weight. Whether this claim is true or not, there are no indications. However, it is highly suggested that if you want to strictly follow Oprah's weight loss plan, you have to listen to her instead of trusting the claims of third party manufacturers.